Welcome to A to Z of tiffin’s ideas with me. I am trying to give A to Z suggestions for lunch box woes and today is Day 22 with the letter V. So Let’s pack the V tiffin.
veggie stuffed paratha
I m staying in Nilgiris and Ooty varkey is my kids all time favorite snack with or without milk so I often pack it in Tiffin. You get them in any bakery shop.
For Vermicilli/ Semiya Upma Recipe
- Vermicelli/ Semiya 1 Cup
- Onion 1 Medium Sized finely chopped
- Potato 1 Medium Sized finely chopped
- Tomatoes 1 Small finely chopped
- Green Chillies 2-3 finely chopped
- Water 2 Cups
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) 1 Teaspoon
- 8-10 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentil) 1 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder 1/2 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice 1 Teaspoon
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Oil and 1 tbsp ghee for frying vermicelli
- Firstly, Add the vermicelli noodles to a pan along with 1 tablespoon of Ghee (Clarified Butter) and Fry it on low heat for 3-4 minutes till it turns light golden brown in color.
- Removing the pan from the heat and let it cool
- Heat oil in another pan and add Mustard Seeds (Rai) to it. When the Rai starts to crackle, add Urad Dal. Fry till the dal becomes golden in color.
- Then add the curry leaves. Fry them for a few seconds.
- Time to add finely chopped onions and green chilies. Let them cook for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped pieces of potatoes. Fry them till they are almost soft.
- Next, Add Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder (Haldi) and Salt (as per taste).
- Furthermore, Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes is gone.
- Finally, add 1 cup of water to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Lastly, Add the roasted Semiya (Vermicelli) to the water.
- Turn the heat to low. Stir till almost all the water is dried up and soaked by the vermicelli.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes.
Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle some lemon juice on top. Mix all the ingredients well. Semiya Upma is ready. Serve it hot.
For Veggie/ beetroot idli refer my “I” Tiffin post
Vegetable Stuffed Paranthas is one way your kids will definitely eat those vegetables
Today is Day 22 with the letter “V” of AtoZ challenge. My theme for the challenge is ‘Tackling Tiffin tantrums” to help ease lunchbox woes for moms & kids.
If you liked this post then do drop a comment below. Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family.