Poha is a popular snack/ breakfast/ street food.
This steam poha is famous in malwa/ Madhya #pradesh area of India.
- 2 cups poha/ chewda/ pohe (thick is better for poha making)
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- A pinch of Hing
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 1 green chilly finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds/ सौंफ
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.2 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 finely chopped Green chilies
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 potato in small pieces, you can use boiled, parboiled or raw any potato as per your wish.
- Salt to taste
- Sugar (optional) for balancing spice taste.
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- First to begin with wash pohe with water and soak the pohe into a strainer.
- Soaking is done only for thick poha, soaking here is in strainer not keeping additional water in it.
- Cover and keep the pohe aside for about 15 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, sugar directly on poha only mix everything.
- Now in big utensil/ boiler take some water and bring it to boil.
- Heat up oil in a pan/ kadhai/ wok.
- Add mustard seeds let it stay till they crackle/pop, then add cumin seeds and let them splutter too and fennel seeds to it along with hing.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves and mix well.
- Fry for about 1 minutes on medium heat.
- Now when the water begins to boil in a boiler, put the kadhai on it.
- Add chopped onion to it cover and steam medium heat.
- Now add boiled/ unboiled potatoes cut into pieces to it and let it stay on medium heat for 7- 8 minutes and stir it in between.
- The steamed poha is ready to serve.
- Add coriander leaves and mix everything well together.
- Steamed poha is ready to move in plates.
- One can serve it with bhujia sev for enhanced taste.